Facts & Features
At Denton Calvary Academy, students in Transitional Kindergarten through 5th grades attend classes on Tuesday and Thursday and work at home under the direction of their parents on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. In addition to classroom instruction, on-campus days include Bible instruction during morning chapel, music, art and P.E. TK-3rd grade parents should know that parents are responsible for teaching and monitoring the lessons provided by the classroom teacher on MWF. In general, parents can expect to spend an average of 4 hours on lessons on home days. Similarly, parents of 4th & 5th grade students are responsible for some teaching on MWF, but teachers will assign more independent work in these grades. Parents are requested to do some teaching, but more often spend time monitoring, grading, and ensuring mastery of concepts. Usually, students should expect to spend an average of 6-7 hours on home days.
*Note: Transitional kindergarten is for students who are 5 by September 1st, but who aren’t quite ready for kindergarten.
Denton Calvary’s Elementary School program is designed to prepare TK thru 5th-grade students to be successful Christian thinkers who love to learn, and to partner with parents in all stages of their child’s academic and spiritual development. The curriculum is taught from a Biblical worldview and generally consists of the following (depending on grade level):
- Language Arts: BJU Grammar, All About Reading, All About Spelling, Institute for Excellence in Writing, handwriting, novels
- Mathematics: Bob Jones University
- Science: Bob Jones University
- History: Story of the World
- Bible lessons and Character First instruction – integrated into lessons and chapel teachings
- Art (Thursdays)
- Music (Tuesdays) – Students perform at Grandparent’s Day, Christmas chapel and a year end musical.
- P.E. (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Spelling Bee
- Spring Fine Art Show and Musical
- 5th Grade Retreat to Pine Cove
- 4th Grade “Night at the Museum” sleepover at the Perot
- “Buddy Days” mentorship program between older/younger students
- Day Field Trips
- All-School Pep Rallies
- Mini-Lion Cheer Camp
- Summer Volleyball & Basketball Camps
Additionally, students are given opportunities to show love in the community through service projects each fall and spring semester.
When choosing a textbook, DCA’s goal is to put the very best resource into our students’ hands. With that goal in mind, we select Christian textbooks when they meet the highest academic standards. However, if a secular textbook does a better job of meeting the rigorous content requirements of a specific course, it may be our choice. Because textbooks are tools in teaching, they do not make up the entirety of the course. Our instructors are the key to much of our Biblical integration. They daily model their Love of God and His word and naturally impart this when teaching their subject matter. At DCA, students are challenged and equipped to think Biblically and critically throughout every academic discipline.
Denton Calvary Academy is a private Christian school, however, we are not affiliated with a specific denomination, and our students represent many different denominational backgrounds.
Elementary Resources (Click to View):
- Elementary Supply List
- Elementary Book List
- Elementary Class Schedule
- Summer Reading (1st-5th)
- Recommended Optional Reading
General Resources (Click to View)
Contact us to talk about how DCA's University-Model can benefit you.